|Sixtymile - Grand Canyon Notes|
Ten Ways a Rim-to-Rim Is Like Having a Baby
Congrats to the entire Grand Canyon '99 Crew. Before I did the hike, I was pretty sure it would be similar to my first experience with labor. Here are my 10 ways that hiking the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim is like having a baby:
10) The fun part is at the very beginning.
9) Labor lasts far longer than you expect.
8) No matter how well you have prepared, nothing compares to the reality of the experience.
7) Both involve serious issues with fluids.
6) About 3/4 of the way through you wonder, "What the hell was I thinking?"
5) There is a deep, inner strength that "pushes" you forward.
4) It is the part where you're being pushed the hardest that makes you want nothing more than to get "this" over with.
3) Unbelievably, it hurts even more the next day.
2) You know without doubt, you have experienced heaven and hell simultaneously.
1) When it's all over, you will gaze forever more upon this, one of nature's most miraculous creations, with new perspective and appreciation.
It was a pleasure to have been in the Canyon at the same time with each one of you. Have a wonderful day.
Bejel Guile - 25 May 1999